Senior Counsel, Privacy & Compliance, Wiley
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA
Our mission is to unlock human potential. We welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and we embrace individuals who get excited about learning. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion; it’s in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
Wiley is looking for a motivated, proactive, collaborative, and experienced attorney to join our legal team as Senior Counsel focused on data privacy and general legal compliance matters such as anti-bribery/anti-corruption, modern slavery legislation , FCPA, OFCCP, Section 889 and corporate compliance.
How you will make an impact:
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws as well as regulatory and compliance related legislation.
- Direct data privacy/cyber security incident response efforts.
- Draft policies and procedures, support members of the legal, business, and policy teams on privacy and security-related legal matters related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities.
- Identifying and delivering training to internal clients and handling special projects.
- Work closely with business leaders, data privacy and security teams and legal colleagues to advise on all aspects of global privacy laws and regulations, including data protection, data retention, data security, employee data, digital marketing, and data breach rules.
- Develop privacy, security, and related terms for standard templates; provide guidance on changes in law and related compliance measures; draft, review and negotiate privacy and data protection terms in contract and related documents.
- Participate in the design and development of privacy and vendor programs and policies. Conduct training programs and prepare memorandum on topical legal issues.
- Support in conducting privacy impact analyses and risk assessments.
- Provide pro-active counsel to management and staff in a timely manner; Participate in resolving claims and disputes with partners, vendors, authors, employees, and others to minimize litigation exposures.
- Lead cross-functional efforts to address privacy and compliance legal risks, including developing a compliance program framework that includes written standards, trainings, and monitoring. Coordinates with Internal Audit, Data Security and Finance to conduct and/or manage internal assessments and monitoring activities.
We are looking for people who have:
- Law degree from accredited school and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- Minimum 5-7 years of privacy law and corporate compliance legal experience in law firm or in-house legal or compliance team.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills; proactive; demonstrated business-oriented judgment.
- Have expertise in state, federal and international privacy laws including GDPR and CCPA.
- Significant experience designing, constructing, and scaling compliance programs with a particular focus on global privacy regulations.
- Experience working cross-functionally within a global organization.
- Ability to project manage within the legal function and across other internal groups.
- Proactive attitude and ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Prior experience developing various elements of a compliance program including working knowledge of FCPA, local Modern Slavery and anti-bribery legislation, OFCCP, and Section 889 compliance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work independently and manage time.
- Capability to handle heavy workload.
For more information and to apply, click here.