Legal Counsel, Boston Globe Media Partners
Boston Globe Media Partners, LLC is seeking an experienced attorney to join the Legal Department of the 1,000+ person parent company for the Boston Globe, Boston.com, and STAT. This attorney will be the third member of the legal team and will report to the Deputy General Counsel, with regular exposure to the General Counsel.
The successful applicant will play a critical role handling a wide range of legal issues, including contract negotiation and review, IP licensing agreements, employment law issues, and many other topics that arise at a high-profile media company. Minimum 3 years of experience as a practicing lawyer required; top-tier law firm and/or in-house transactional experience preferred.
- Drafting and (in many instances) negotiating the substantial volume and exceptionally wide variety of commercial agreements generated by the company. Types of contracts will include: vendor agreements; IT agreements; SaaS agreements; consulting agreements; advertising and marketing agreements; contracts relating to contests, sweepstakes, and events; and non-disclosure agreements.
- Handling other projects and assuming other responsibilities as needed, involving an extremely wide range of legal issues.
- Providing high-quality support and advice to business clients across the company; including training of internal clients about contract issues and language and negotiating techniques.
- Maintaining a high standard of quality, turnaround time and client responsiveness.
- J.D. degree and Bar membership in at least one state or the District of Columbia.
- Massachusetts Bar membership, or eligibility to practice under Massachusetts in-house counsel rule.
- Three or more years of legal experience, preferably with a top-tier law firm, with an emphasis on complex contract drafting and negotiation. Prior in-house experience preferred.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas would be beneficial but is not required: review and negotiation of SaaS, advertising, or events contracts; content licensing and clearance requests; experience providing legal advice in connection with digital platforms.
- Strong time management skills and a high degree of flexibility.
- The ability to own projects and work with limited direct supervision in a dynamic, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and in writing. The ability to communicate concisely and effectively with business clients and senior management.
- Growth mindset and commitment to learning the business, and to providing legal advice that supports the business while mitigating risk.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
For more information and to apply, click here.