Journalism and Access Project Attorney, First Amendment Clinic at the University of Georgia School of Law
The First Amendment Clinic at the University of Georgia School of Law seeks an attorney for its Georgia Journalism and Access (GJA) Project.
The First Amendment Clinic defends and advances the rights of free speech, press, assembly, and petition via regional litigation and advocacy, while providing law students with the practice and real-world experience to become leaders on First Amendment issues. The Clinic also serves as a resource for journalists, students, government employments, local and state officials, and members of the public on issues of government transparency and expressive freedoms in order to promote First Amendment rights and a better-informed citizenry.
With a grant from The Legal Clinic Fund for Local News, the First Amendment Clinic is expanding its services in support of local journalism in Georgia, including professional, freelance, citizen, and student journalists who would not otherwise have access to legal counsel.
The GJA Project Attorney will be responsible for:
- building and maintaining relationships with local journalism communities;
- providing legal consultation, advocacy, and litigation services to individual journalists and news organizations in Georgia;
- developing ad presenting educational programs and trainings on topics related to government access/transparency and press freedoms;
- supervising law students participating in the First Amendment Clinic who are assigned to GJA Project matters; and
- assisting with management of the First Amendment Clinic’s law practice.
- A JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Outstanding advocacy and lawyering skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- An ability to build and maintain community relationships.
- An ability to supervise law students effectively.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- 3 to 5 years of litigation experience and Georgia Bar admission preferred.
For more information and to apply, click here.