General Counsel, Radio Free Asia
RFA is seeking a General Counsel to provide sound legal advice and counsel to RFA’s Board of Directors, President, and senior management team on a wide range of legal and policy issues; protect the organization against legal risks and violations; represent the organization in legal proceedings; and serve as Board Secretary. The General Counsel will work with RFA’s COO in leading RFA’s collective bargaining team in union contract negotiations. In addition to appropriate legal experience and thorough knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and governance issues, this role requires excellent interpersonal skills, impeccable ethics and integrity, and a willingness to work in a “hands-on” manner.
- Providing sound legal and policy advice to RFA’s Board of Directors, RFA’s President, and senior management on matters involving employment and labor law, immigration, litigation, contracts, federal grants, intellectual property, liability and insurance, and governance while conducting research regarding specific legal and regulatory issues as necessary to inform such advice.
- Interpreting foreign law and international agreements as relevant to RFA and international broadcasting, and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in the US and in jurisdictions where RFA has employees or stringers/contractors. Providing advice and guidance on issues of press freedom, censorship, and libel and defamation claims, in accordance with relevant laws.
- Working with RFA departments on copyright and fair use questions, disciplinary actions, licensing and trademarks, press releases and statements, RFA policies, and litigation avoidance.
- Acting as Secretary for RFA, attending Board meetings and taking minutes, responding to requests for information and use of RFA materials.
- Overseeing compliance and resolution of conflict-of-interest disclosures, and conducting training on EEO issues, copyright, and fair use questions.
- Overseeing RFA’s risk insurance policies.
- Representing RFA in legal proceedings.
- Actively participating in labor relations issues, collective bargaining negotiations, and CBA implementation in collaboration with RFA’s COO.
- Participating in the definition and development of corporate policies and procedures.
- Selecting, retaining, and liaising with outside counsel, as necessary, to obtain legal opinions and/or to handle claims and litigation.
- Reviewing contracts, leases, and other legal documents; researching legal issues and recommending revisions as necessary
- Monitoring and maintaining current knowledge of developments and current trends in relevant areas of law and pursuing ongoing professional development to maintain currency of knowledge on best practices.
- Juris Doctorate degree from accredited law school.
- Minimum ten years’ experience with an established law firm or relevant in-house counsel experience. Relevant professional experience working in Asia and/or working for a media company, with the government, or a mission-driven nonprofit preferred.
- Current active membership in a State bar, preferably the District of Columbia Bar or eligibility to obtain membership in the District of Columbia Bar.
- Ability to provide competent legal advice and counsel to RFA Board, President, and senior management team on a wide range of legal and policy issues.
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent ethics and integrity upon which advice and decisions are based.
- Ability to be proactive and responsive, and to work efficiently.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure, always ensuring sound advice and guidance given.
- Thorough understanding of, and ability to respect and maintain, business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Strong research skills.
- Good computer skills with proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Ability to work well independently as well as a member of a team and willingness to work in a “hands-on” manner.
Pay scale for this position is equivalent to GS-15 for the Washington, DC, region. Compensation includes a competitive benefits package.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org making reference to the position of “General Counsel” in the subject line.