First Amendment Fellow, Center for Investigative Reporting
Reveal is looking for a full-time First Amendment Fellow to join our legal department. This one-year paid position will allow the fellow the chance to work closely as an associate with in-house counsel.
Responsibilities will include working alongside Reveal’s General Counsel to assist with:
- Reviewing articles, podcasts, and documentaries prior to publication.
- Researching newsgathering questions.
- Helping reporters file public records requests and writing appeal letters.
- Assisting with filing and litigating freedom of information requests and court-access cases, defending libel suits, and providing support on other litigation.
- Reviewing and editing amicus briefs.
- Researching intellectual property matters.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Admission to the California bar by January 2025 is required.
- 1-3 years of experience. We would also welcome a 2024 law school graduate.
- A strong academic record with excellent research and writing skills.
- An exceptional ability to work with others, including staff and outside counsel.
- A demonstrated deep interest in media law and the First Amendment.
- A great sense of humor and collegial attitude.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
This full-time fellowship will begin in September 2024. We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area but are entirely remote and will consider remote and local candidates for this position. Candidates who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to work on-site at our office depending on public health conditions in 2024.
Preference will be given to students with public interest funding. The fellowship is designed to be both a learning and work experience for a new lawyer excited about media law and the First Amendment.
Please note that the position is not budgeted to lead to employment after one year.
This position is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Reveal offers a generous compensation package that currently includes:
- 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees, 50% for dependents.
- Retirement benefits, including employer matching contribution.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Monthly phone and internet reimbursement.
- 15 paid vacation days, and 11 paid holidays.
- Annual office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Please use this link to apply and send in applications, including a resume, cover letter and writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.