Counsel — Commercial Contracts & Network Relations, NPR
NPR seeks an attorney with 3 to 5 years of transactional/commercial contracts experience to join the Commercial Contracts & Network Relations team within the Office of the General Counsel. This position will support NPR on matters relating to the development, acquisition, and distribution of programming, the inbound licensing of content, compliance activities and trainings, the licensing of NPR’s brands, sponsorship and production of live events, facilities and operations, and managing and supporting NPR’s contractual, business and strategic relationship with its 250+ Member stations.
The lawyer who joins our team will help NPR embrace business opportunities while balancing risk and ensuring compliance with NPR’s nonprofit status. We are looking for a versatile lawyer with superb oral and written communications skills, a commitment to client service, practical business judgment and the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships both internally and externally. An ability to manage multiple projects, set and adjust priorities, work under pressure and maintain composure and a sense of humor while doing so are musts.
The ideal candidate will have experience handling contractual and legal matters in the media and/or entertainment fields, and a passion for the important work of NPR.
- Assist with commercial contracts relating to NPR-produced programming, licensed programming, and new programming initiatives, including a variety of agreements relating to the development, production, distribution and licensing of content for broadcast, satellite, podcast and digital distribution
- Provide legal advice and counsel with respect to rights and obligations under existing content licensing and distribution agreements, and assist with renewal, renegotiation and maintenance of such agreements
- Help develop, implement and oversee aspects of the organization’s legal, regulatory, and contractual compliance activities, including assisting with compliance reviews and associated trainings
- Assist with the administration of a rights management system, and the maintenance of departmental charts and reports tracking programming rights
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements with NPR’s Member stations
- Draft, review and negotiate various other commercial contracts, including marketing, consumer products, sponsorship and brand partnership agreements, co-production agreements, producer, writer, and talent agreements, live event agreements, consultant, service provider and vendor agreements, and facilities and operations agreements
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Manage risk and ensure compliance with nonprofit tax law and regulatory requirements
- Cultivate, support and promote diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace, and an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. from an accredited law school
- 3+ years’ experience practicing law as a transactional attorney at a law firm and/or as part of an in-house legal team
- Membership in good standing in (or eligibility to waive into) the District of Columbia Bar
- Contract drafting, interpretation, analysis and negotiation skills
- The ability to analyze complex contracts and effectively communicate that analysis to internal stakeholders
- An orientation toward collaboration and client service; strong client relations skills
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to both legal and non-legal professionals
- Proven ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects and setting and adjusting priorities as needed, while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail and keeping the “big picture” in mind
- Ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish the organization’s objectives
- Sound judgment, a strong work ethic, keen attention to detail, and a creative, collaborative and business-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Experience handling contractual and legal matters in the media and/or entertainment fields
- Experience conducting compliance reviews and/or compliance trainings, or other experience handling regulatory- or compliance-related matters
- Knowledge of and/or experience with some or all of the following types of commercial contracts: marketing, consumer products, sponsorship and/or brand partnership agreements; co-production agreements; producer, writer, and talent agreements; live event agreements; consultant, service provider and/or vendor agreements; facilities and operations agreements; shared services agreements; mergers and acquisitions; strategic transactions; ad tech agreements; ad sales and purchase agreements
- Working knowledge of nonprofit law
- Working knowledge of data privacy laws
- Experience with rights management
For more information and to apply, click here.