Corporate Counsel, Newsday
Summary of Position
The Corporate Counsel position will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating contracts and providing intellectual property related advice and counsel. This position will also provide legal counsel on a wide range of media law issues, including prepublication
Essential Duties & Functions
- Review, markup/draft (from forms and from scratch), negotiate and close commercial contracts, including but not limited to master services agreements, statements of work, licensing, content, software, IT support and maintenance, consulting, leases, distribution, marketing, and advertising agreements and supporting documents across all business units.
- Provide practical, business-oriented legal/commercial contract advice directly to business clients.
- Support business clients in negotiating commercial terms.
- Provide advice and counsel on IP related issues, including copyright, trademark, and publicity rights.
- Provide counsel to the newsroom on media law related issues, including access and prepublication review
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to maximize opportunity and minimize risk.
- Manage assigned projects to completion.
- Assist General Counsel and management in all legal matters, as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of New York
- 4+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; in-house legal department experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in intellectual property law required; experience in media law, employment and/or labor law helpful but not required.
- Analytical and research skills required.
- Subject matter expert on commercial agreements providing independent review and revision with and without attorney supervision.
- Experience working in a fast-paced and collegial environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to prioritize competing demands from business clients and attorneys.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Must be able to effectively work as part of a team to achieve business goals.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include extended hours, weekends and holidays as needed to support the business.
For more information and to apply, click here.