Associate General Counsel, New York Public Radio
New York Public Radio is seeking an Associate General Counsel who will advise on a wide variety of issues associated with a prominent non-commercial content producer and 501(c)(3) organization, with a particular focus on legal work for launching and supporting WNYC Studios productions and the WNYC newsroom and general contract review. Applicants must have a strong practically-oriented and business-minded approach, and must be able to work independently with executives and with staff from outside the Legal Department. This role will report to the General Counsel.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a range of contracts, including those for audio content production, licensing and distribution, digital media, SaaS platforms, and talent
- Counsel internal stakeholders and provide clear, straightforward analysis on legal compliance, in particular with respect to music rights, original content production and data privacy
- Coordinate with other departments including business and finance to ensure smooth processes and communications in quick-moving transactions. Work closely with Senior Leadership Team and Business Development to develop and execute organizational strategies regarding content creation, talent acquisition, and partnerships
- Conduct pre-broadcast review and advise on related rights clearance, fair use, defamation and newsgathering issues for the Newsroom and for brands ranging from Radioalab to Gothamist
- Coordinate trademark and copyright registration and enforcement
- Revise and enforce sponsorship copy guidelines to ensure regulatory compliance
- Organize and lead legal training seminars around the organization
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Exceptionally strong drafting, negotiation, and organizational skills
- Persistence, patience and clarity in communications, especially in corresponding and interacting with non-legal staff
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to effectively interface with a broad range of key stakeholders
- Ability to quickly learn the content business areas and respond to changing needs based on the growth of the organization
- J.D. (required)
- Admission to and good standing with the New York State Bar (required)
- Minimum 5-7 years commercial or transactional experience at a law firm and/or in-house (required)
- Experience in media, intellectual property, entertainment, and /or not-for-profit law (strongly preferred)
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, with generous time off policies including vacation, personal, sick time and parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work fully from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
For more information and to apply, click here.