MLRC Media Lawyers Conference
Join media lawyers from Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and the U.S. for a full day of discussion and networking about media law and policy and how media lawyers can strengthen cross-border ties to better defend a free press.
January 29, 2024
- Impact of the Ben Roberts Smith Case.
Nick McKenzie – Multi Award winning Investigative Journalist and co- author of the Ben Robert-Smith revelations.
Larina Alick – Executive Counsel, Nine Network, In-House Counsel overseeing the BRS defence.
Grant McAvaney – Head of Litigation, News Limited.
Moderator: Peter Bartlett, partner Minter Ellison
- Investigative Journalists and the Law: Is Australian law chilling investigative reporting & causing self-censorship?
Hedley Thomas – Australian investigative journalist and author, who writes and produces podcasts for The Australian.
Kate McClymont – chief investigative reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald.
Edmund Tadros – professional services editor at The Australian Financial Review.
Kieran Pender – senior lawyer in the Democratic Freedoms team at the Human Law Centre.
Moderator: Marlia Saunders – partner, Thomas Geer
- Press Freedom in Asia
Cheng Lei, Australian journalist who was held in Beijing for more than three years.
H.R. Dipendra, media lawyer Malaysia
Moderator: Michael Cameron, Head of Legal, News Limited.
- Lunch with speakers: Update on the Assange Prosecution; Trump Trials and Free Speech.
- Vetting of a Hypothetical News Article: Australian vs. UK vs. US media law with an international panel of discussants.
- Australian Judges: Media Law & the Press
Moderator: Marina Olsen, Banki Haddock Fiora
- In-House Counsel Breakfast (Jan. 30): Discussion of practical issues concerning the provision of pre-publication and pre-broadcast legal advice.
Registration & Location
- Conference includes light breakfast, lunch, and reception on Jan. 29. Plus Jan. 28 reception and dinner in Vaucluse. In-house Counsel Breakfast on Jan. 30.
- Registration is $200 US. Discounted registration for academics is $100 US.
- Register and pay online via credit card. Your credit card will be charged in U.S. dollars. To register and pay via invoice and bank transfer please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Location: Minter Ellison, Level 40, Governor Macquarie Tower, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney 2000 Australia
Banki Haddock Fiora • Melkonian & Co. • Thomson Geer